Monday, October 18, 2010

Starting My Blog Today

My daughter has two blogs and has been talking to me about starting a blog about my favorite topic - doing charity sewing, knitting and crocheting, in particular, for babies.  When an organization has a certain need, I will go on the internet and search and search and search and a lot of times I can't find a nice simple pattern to do.  There are tons of great sites but usually I look for something nice and simple to do.  I have two favorite charities:  Cooper Hospital in Camden, NJ and Afghans for Afghans.  Cooper Hospital is a local hospital that has a large NICU unit.  For this unit we make hats, blankets, isolette covers and blankets,etc.  For the newborn unit, we make sweater sets, blankets, bibs, isolette blankets, burb cloths, etc.  There are times that the donation is the only clothing that the baby has to go home.  Right now there is a drive going on for the A4A group for children from the ages of 7 - 14 for sweaters, hats, mittens, socks and blankets.  There are areas in Afghanistan that really get cold.  I like these two groups because the hospital only accepts acrylic yarn and the Afghan group only accepts wool yarn.  In between these two groups, I always find a nursing home or cancer center that can use lap blanket or chemo caps.  No matter what I am in the mood to make, there is a person who can truly use it.

I finally decided to write this blog for two reasons:  share and inspire.........   I want to share with you what I am working on as well as fnding out what others are doing for charities.  I want to inspire you to create something  for someone else and knowing that it will be enjoyed and used.

No comments:

Post a Comment